If you think that coloring hair is a recent trend, you are wrong. The art of coloring hair is almost centuries old. Back then, people used to color their hair with extracts from plants like natural henna because of the ease of availability and avoiding the damage caused by chemical-containing dyes. If you are also looking to get your hair dyed using henna and want to know how to make a henna paste at home, you are exactly at the right place.
While various chemical-containing dyes are available in the market, using natural hair dyes like henna is one of the safest ways out. The reason being it is most unlikely to cause damages to your hair that chemical-containing dyes may cause and can prove to give various other benefits, which are going to be discussed further.
Before discussing how to make henna paste for hair, let's get to know why you should prefer henna for your hair in the first place. Here are the reasons:
- It helps in balancing the oil production and pH of your scalp. Henna helps in removing the excess oil in your hair and unclogging the hair follicles as well.
- Not only is the henna paste good for covering your grey hair, but it also has cooling effects on the scalp.
- The hair cuticles are also sealed by henna which results in hair locks looking more lustrous.
- Henna paste is also known for making your hair texture and growth a lot better.
- Just because henna is well known for fighting various scalp issues and balancing the oil production of hair, it, as a result, helps in reducing hair fall too.
- There are various nutrients present in henna that not only help in nourishing your hair but also repair hair damages.
- The henna has antifungal and antibacterial properties that are absolutely exceptional for fighting various scalp issues like itchiness, dandruff, etc.
- This natural paste is also known for creating a protective barrier among each hair shaft which locks the moisture of your hair and keeps them conditioned.
- It is also known for reducing other hair-related issues like breakage and split ends. How to make Henna Paste at home?
Now that the prominent benefits of using henna in place of conventional dyes are discussed, here is how you can make a henna paste at home by following these simple steps:
- First and foremost, get a hold of henna powder from the brand that you trust the most or make henna powder from scratch using the plant. If you want to know how to make henna powder, look nowhere else as we have it covered for you in the next portion of this article.
- Get all the things ready that you will need while making the henna paste. It includes a plastic wrap, bowl for mixing, pure henna powder, hand gloves, water or coffee depending on your choice, and lastly, a mixing spoon to get the stirring job done.
- To start making the paste, pour the henna powder into a bowl. The quantity depends on your usage. If you are using a henna pack, you can store the leftover henna in the package by making it airtight.
- Now for getting a perfect consistency, start adding water gradually. You can also use coffee to make the paste for better results. The addition of coffee makes the red color of the henna more visible and vibrant.
- Keep stirring the mixture while you are adding the water, and make sure the mixture does not become too thin.
- Stirring is the art when it comes to making a henna paste. Make sure the paste is not too thick or thin, and the consistency is even throughout. If the paste is too thick, keep adding small amounts of water until the perfect thickness is achieved.
- If some lumps are appearing in the bowl, make sure to sort them out, too, by smashing the lumps while stirring.
- Cover the bowl containing henna with plastic wrap and leave it for eight to ten hours or overnight to get the best results.
- When the time is complete, your henna paste is ready to be used for hair dyeing.
How to make henna powder:
Now that we have discussed how to make henna paste for hair, if you don't want to get your hands on any brand and want to start from scratch, here are the steps to answer your query of how to make henna powder yourself:
- Get your hands on fresh mehndi leaves first and foremost. Once you get hold of them, make sure there are no twigs.
- Now dry the leaves under the sun until you get crispy structured leaves like chips.
- Use a mixture to form a powder of these crispy leaves. Your henna powder is ready in just a few steps.
- Let the powder store in an airtight container so that no moisture comes in contact with it before it is used.
- You can add amla, methi, hibiscus, or any other natural ingredient for additional nutrients depending on the ease of availability but be sure to use their powder forms only.
With grey hair comes the utter responsibility of covering them using various dyes. However, frequent use of conventional dyes can do a lot more than just coloring the hair, i.e., damage them too! This is where natural dyes like henna come to the rescue. Not only is henna good for dyeing your hair, but it also nourishes the hair and acts as a conditioner.
But just buying a pack of henna isn't the final task because it is extremely important to know how to make a henna paste at home with perfection to get the best results. We have covered every important thing possible to get the perfect henna paste made at home and get the best results on your hair to sort this issue out.
If you don't want to trust any brand, want to start from scratch and make henna powder yourself, we have covered all the steps for how to make henna powder easily so you can get your hands on 100% organic dye at the premises of your home.